Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Ultimate Designer.


I am not fashion conscious - I gravitate toward comfort.  Our household does include a couple of little fashionistas, who are currently 10 and 8.    My little fashionistas are obsessed with a book that was given to them by their German cousin which has blank models on which you draw/design clothes. Amazingly, they have designed some very interesting (in a good way) designs on paper. 

On rare occasion I read something fashion-oriented, and today was one of those occasions.  It seems the fashion world is becoming quite enamored with Crystal Renn.  What's the interest? She's a novelty in the fashion world - she's a "plus size" model.

Please, people - she's a size TEN.  Since when is a size TEN considered plus-size?  

Check out a quote from the article posted today on www.people.com (yes, I'm guilty of occasionally surfing the People website - once in a blue moon they have something interesting): 
"For Renn, who walked in Jean Paul Gaultier’s 2006 fashion show at a size 12, being treated as one of the pack, not as “the plus size model,” is “a real breakthrough,” she says. “I’m here being treated like any other girl. It doesn’t matter my size. It doesn’t matter who I am. I’m going on castings like everybody else.” Though Renn is now a slimmer size 10, she says she’s still “different from most of the girls at the castings,” but acknowledges that there is more diversity on the runway these days. “When I first started, the girls were all blonde, all emaciated and miserable looking,” she says. “Now, there’s more ethnic diversity. The girls are not as skinny as before. You do see size 6s and a couple size 8s. There is change happening in the industry. There is more allowance for people to be different. I’m so impressed. I can’t wait for next season."  (all emphasis mine)
I am just floored by this attitude.  Since when is someone whose hip bones, shoulder blades and ribs aren't glaringly obvious categorized as "plus size"?  I suppose since she looks normal and eats more than an apple and a couple of saltine crackers per day she's "different".  UNBELIEVABLE.   It's no wonder our young girls have such body issues these days.

This article is nowhere near newsworthy - it's just more worldly garbage promoted by the fashion industry that could influence our daughters for a moment or for a lifetime.

I pray that we, as mothers, will teach our daughters that God is the ultimate designer.  
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  Psalm 139:13-14 NIV

Father, thank you for planning every cell and strand of DNA and for delicately and masterfully stitching me together so that I would be formed according to Your plan.  May my daughters forever know that You planned and created them with perfection, and may they always look to You for their body image and self worth, and not the world.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment